Opportunities for trainee care assistants and experienced care workers. Part time or full time (flexible but some evenings and weekends).
Purpose of role
To support customers with all aspects of their day to day living, so they can enjoy the best possible quality of life. You will mostly work alone with the customer in their home. Providing care and support offers many rewards, but can also be challenging. Compassion, good communication skills and a calm and caring manner are essential for this important role in our company.
To provide safe, reliable, compassionate care and support to meet the individual needs and wishes of each customer. Each person is unique therefore you must respect each customers’ choice about how their care and support is given and promote their dignity at all times. You may be the only person the customer sees over a period of time, it is therefore essential to report any changes or causes for concern to your line manager promptly. You need to be clear about when to seek help and advice in order to keep customers safe and promote their well-being.
Care and support:-
Give anti-discriminatory care and support that values the whole person rather than merely seeing a list of care needs. Carefully listen and observe how each customer prefers their care and support to be delivered on a day-to-day basis. Help them make their own decisions so they can be as independent as possible. Follow the instructions in the care and support plan agreed with each customer. This may include:
- All aspects of personal care such as showering and bathing, dressing and grooming, dental hygiene, toileting and continence care
- Assisting with medicines, ordering and collecting prescriptions or returning unwanted medicines to the pharmacy for safe disposal
- Supporting the customer to eat and drink well. For example, helping the customer to plan what to eat and drink, giving gentle encouragement, shopping, preparing and serving food and drinks, clearing the table, washing up and keeping the kitchen area clean and tidy, agreeing with the customer how to store food safely and when to dispose of out of date produce
- Safely using aids and personal equipment in a manner that respects the dignity of customers. For example walking frames, wheelchairs, manual and electric hoists, sliding sheets and moving boards, hearing aids and other physical aids
- Housework such as dusting, tidying, washing floors, vacuuming and sweeping, doing the laundry and ironing, making beds and changing the linen
- Social and physical activities or mental stimulation such as keeping in touch with friends/relatives, taking a customer out shopping or to social activities, hobbies such as reading, photo albums, games, etc.
- Supporting a customer through temporary and terminal illness, including end of life care, hospital appointments, liaising with community health support and families
Record and report:-
- The care and support that you provide and assistance with medicines
- Changes to a customer’s condition or other concerns e.g. faulty equipment or hazards in the home
- Response to emergencies, accidents, incidents and safeguarding matters
- Contact with families, representatives or carers and other professionals
- Other matters as required by Bluebird Care procedures
- Keep all information about customers and their families secure and confidential except where policy requires you to share, to protect the interests of our customers. Work well as part of the Bluebird Care team
- Follow Bluebird Care policies, procedures and guidance at all times
- Take part in staff and customer meetings
- Attend training activities, supervisor and appraisal meetings
Be part of something special.
We can offer the following benefits:-
- We have our own in-house Training Academy
- Patented Career Journey Framework
- Flexible working patterns (full and part time)
- Bluebird Care in Hull has been shortlisted as finalists in the category of Care Employer of the year (Great British Care Awards, Yorkshire and Humberside)
- Employee Wellbeing Programme/recognition and awards etc.
- Use of company car or cycle
- Fuel allowance up to 45p per mile/free MOT
- Support and assistance with claiming taxable allowances from HMRC (annual consultation)
- Holiday pay
- Bonus scheme via Care Friends App (financial reward for introducing new employee/customer)
- Free membership of NACAS (National Association of Care and Support Workers)
- Bus pass (can be used for both work and personal use)
- Free uniform
- Free DBS checks
- Access to Staff Guide App
- Guaranteed hours (term and conditions)
*Pay award review April 2022
*Opportunities to be involved in fund raising activities and campaigns to raise awareness of social care issues.