Diversity isn’t just something that employers should focus on. We can all do our part in promoting diversity in the Care sector.
Diversity not only improves the quality of your workforce – it improves team morale and the overall perception of your organisation.
What is discrimination?
Everyone has the right to feel protected in all areas of life. This protection comes from the Equality Act (2010).
How can I do my part in promoting diversity?
There are so many different things you can do to promote diversity. It’s important to remember – it doesn’t only apply to the workplace. You can promote it in school, or in your general community.
- What does diversity actually mean to you? Even better – what does it look like? Knowing what it is and how it’s demonstrated will put you in a better position to promote it.
- Appreciate everyone, as they are. Having an inclusive approach in your general life will set an example for how others should be. Remember – if you’re trying to promote it, you need to set an example.
- Understand what makes people different. It’s difficult to truly appreciate people without knowing what makes them different, and accepting that it’s okay. Understanding is the first step in accepting.
- Actively seek out new perspectives, ideas and ways of learning. If you’re struggling with something – ask for help, and be open to new ideas and perspectives. People from different cultures and backgrounds may have different ways of tackling problems – embrace it and learn from them.
- Encourage participation. Encouraging different people from different backgrounds to take part in something they usually wouldn’t can be very eye-opening. By taking part – you learn a lot about what makes that person different. And, in some ways – it can change the way you approach things in future, too.